Winters can be hard on your car. The cold temperature usually creates pressure on the car battery. Therefore, being prepared for the winters by winterizing your car battery is necessary.
1. Get the Right Battery
A winter car battery usually has a CCA rating, which indicates the cold cracking amps. CCA indicates how a battery works in cold temperatures. Unlike the CA rating of the battery, it can even measure the temperature at zero degrees. If you are using CA raring car battery, you must use a mobile battery replacement service to change the battery. It is necessary to use the right battery if your region faces low temperatures, i.e., 20 Fahrenheit or even lower than that.
2. Completely Charge the Battery
Even if you use CCA rating batteries, they can get damaged during very cold days if your battery is not fully charged. If damaged, you will have no other option than a mobile battery replacement. Therefore, it is advisable to completely charge up your car battery.
- You can visit your repair store or call them to charge car batteries. Battery booster stations will also help you with checking and charging your car battery.
- Alternatively, you can use tools like a battery charger with float functionality to charge the battery at home.
3. Do Not Let Dirt Pile Up
- Dirt, dust, and corrosion are common obstacles that prevent car batteries from performing optimally.
- We all know car battery initially starts and circulates power in all parts of the car. Therefore, any obstacles in this process can result in poor performance.
- In winters, batteries need more power to start the car. Therefore, it is necessary to keep it clean.
- Another issue caused due to dust and dirt is moisture collection. This causes the flow of electric current from one post of the battery to the other. This leads the battery to get self discharged. This would increase the need for frequent battery booster.
Therefore, you must keep car batteries clean and moisture-free.
4. Maintain the Right Temperature
Extreme temperature can damage batteries as explained earlier. Damaged batteries need to be replaced by on-site or mobile battery replacement technicians. Therefore, taking precautionary steps would be great. Maintaining batteries at the correct temperature can help to extend the life and performance of the batteries. Follow below-mentioned tips for the same:
- Only use CCA rating batteries.
- Charge up the batteries before winter. During winter keep it charged with a battery booster. If you have removed your CA rating batteries, then keep them in a dry place, which should not get direct sunlight. It also should be away from HVAC vents.
Read Related Blog: The Importance of a Battery Check before Winter
Do not let winter damage your car batteries or keep you stuck with a dead battery on the go. Winterize your car batteries at the earliest possible.
For a hassle-free experience, you can also take the help of a mobile battery replacement company. Technicians will visit you and do the needful to make your car batteries winter-ready.