Winter is approaching fast in Canada. Getting ready to drive your car on slushy roads becomes necessary now. You need to winterize your car, so it can give good performance even in low temperatures.
To help you create a checklist to winterize your car, here is what you must do along with essential tips.
1. Winter Tire Change
- This has to be the first thing you do to winterize your car: winter tire change.
- Winter tires are necessary to have a better grip on the roads and keep moving with great control even in low temperatures.
- Even if the roads in your region stay clear and slush-free, switching to winter tires is necessary.
- Do not make the mistake of using all-season tires in winter. You must contact your tire change and replacement mechanic to switch to winter tires.
2. Oil Change
- Oil viscosity changes with changing temperature. This can cause friction and other issues during winter. This makes warranty approved oil change necessary.
3. Battery Booster or Changing Battery
- Winters are hard on car batteries, which makes them as important as tire and oil change
- You might not need to change the battery, but you might need to tune it.
- Get your car battery examined by your mechanic. If needed, invest in servicing or changing the battery.
- The life of a Canadian car battery is usually 5 years, so if your battery is about to complete this period, it would be better to change it before winters to winterize your car.
Also read: Battery Booster Calgary
4. Winter Wipers
- It is often ignored, but it must be on your checklist to get your car winter-ready.
- Winter wipers are different from the alternative. It will not lose contact with your windshield due to its aerodynamic shape. This will ensure you can have a clear vision.
- Even during snowfalls, it can keep moving, unlike other wipers due to its sturdy and thick rubber.
- Your automotive service provider can help with this as well.
- Your car radiator will have fluid, which should have an equal blend of water and antifreeze.
- You must get this fluid ratio checked by your mechanic offering warranty approved oil change.
6. Tire Pressure
- This fact might be surprising, but the fact is a change in temperature also changes tire pressure. According to a tire change and replacement provider, at every 10 Fahrenheit, tire pressure changes up to 1 PSI.
- This fact is a clear indicator that changing temperature changes tire pressure. To keep good traction with the road, it is necessary to have recommended pressure in your tires. Therefore, frequently check tire pressure and do the needful, if required.
7. Winter Kit
It is recommended to have a kit to get winter-ready. Important items, which you must have in your winter kit, are:
- A toolkit for your car
- Jumper cables
- Ice scraper
- And other essentials
Contact Urban Lube to winterize a car and for other automotive services like oil change, tire change, battery boost and much more.