Motor oil is the key to a healthy engine. With so many brands and types of engine oils available in the market, the choice for a warranty approved oil change is not easy. Choosing the wrong motor oil for a car can result in deleterious consequences and even a full engine failure. In a country like Canada, where the winters are freezing and harsh, choosing the right motor oil is even more important.
If you are planning for a oil change, here are the different types of motor oils and their recommended usage.
Conventional Motor Oil
- Uses less refined base oil.
- Manufactured with refined crude.
- Breaks down and evaporates quickly
- Prevents the engine from overheating.
- Lubricates various parts of the engine and reduces wear and tear due to friction.
- Becomes thick in cold climates and lower temperatures.
- Less expensive compared to synthetic motor oils.
- Conventional motor oil is recommended for drivers with a simple driving style and cars having a basic engine design.
- On average, conventional motor oils last for 5000 km.
Synthetic Motor Oil
- Molecules of synthetic motor oil are chemically engineered and uniform in shape.
- Synthetic motor oils have high performance additives, making their performance better in extreme high and low temperatures.
- High resistance to oxidation and heat.
- If you are mainly driving within the city for short distances in stop-start traffic, synthetic motor oil is the best choice for your car.
- Synthetic motor oil offers superior lubrication and better wear and tear protection compared to conventional oil.
- Synthetic motor oil can last for an average of 10000 km or even more.
- With a longer oil change interval in the case of synthetic motor oil, you won’t be required to go for warranty approved oil change Calgary.
Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
- Also known as semi-synthetic motor oil, this is a blend of synthetic and conventional base oils.
- Synthetic blend motor oil provides better engine protection and lasts longer than conventional motor oil.
- It is cost-effective and economical since it carries a lower price tag compared to synthetic motor oil.
- It is resistant to corrosion and has exceptional low temperature properties.
High Mileage Motor Oil
- High mileage motor oil is specifically formulated for protecting engines with over 75,000 miles.
- This type of oil consists of special additives and agents that help dissolve the sludge accumulated on the engine due to the use of other oils.
- It also helps to lower oil less caused due to burn-off.
You May Like: Transmission Fluid: Types, Functioning, and Benefits
Viscosity – A Key Factor to Keep in Mind
- Viscosity refers to the resistance of a fluid to flow.
- In the case of motor oils, viscosity is the speed at which the oil flows to protect the engine.
- Engine oils are available in different viscosity numbers.
- If highly viscous oil is used, you will experience unresponsiveness from the engine.
For warranty approved oil change, it is best to refer to the owner’s manual to know about the correct motor oil specification and viscosity grade for your car.
Book an appointment for an oil change today!
Read Next Blog: