Several types of fluids ensure your vehicle stays in good condition and runs seamlessly. What we generally focus on is the engine oil, radiator oil, and coolant. However, there is one essential fluid and its importance should not be overlooked. It is the transmission fluid.
What is Transmission Fluid?
- Transmission fluid is a liquid that lubricates various components of a vehicle’s transmission so that a vehicle can deliver optimal performance.
- When you go for a transmission fluid change, you will need to choose between automatic or manual transmission fluid.
Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) vs. Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF)
- The automated transmission is more complex compared to the manual one.
- Automatic transmission fluid is a hydraulic fluid having a lower viscosity compared to manual transmission fluid.
- The low viscosity enables faster and smoother gear shift in the automatic transmission.
- Manual transmission fluid has a higher viscosity as it helps the fluid to create a thick and protective coat for the transmission
How Does The Transmission Fluid Function?
- The act of shifting gears while driving a car requires constant lubrication.
- The transmission fluid circulates through the small channels inside the transmission.
- As the transmission fluid moves through the small openings, it lubricates the crucial parts of the transmission box.
- This is true with both manual and automatic transmission fluid.
You May Like: How Do I Check My Transmission Fluid Level?
Functions of Transmission Fluid
- Lubricate different parts of the transmission
- Cleans and protects the metal surface from wear and tear
- Increases cooling and reduces high temperature operations
- Increases rotational speed
- Condition gaskets
Benefits of Regular Transmission Fluid Change
One of the most common problems that car owners in Canada face is related to transmission. If you are a car owner in Canada, or for that matter in any part of the world, it is important to take care of your car’s transmission by going for transmission fluid change periodically.
Here are the benefits of transmission fluid change at a regular interval:
- Improved fuel economy
- Seamless ride on the road
- Prevents engine lock-up
- Saves money on maintenance
- Avoid costly fixes or replacement of spare parts
- Smooth gear shifting
- Optimized engine functioning
- Minimal transmission problems
- Increases the longevity of the car’s transmission
When Is It Time for a Transmission Fluid Change?
Checking the transmission fluid on a regular basis will let you know whether the transmission fluid needs to be changed or not. When checking for automatic or manual transmission fluid, you need to check for two things.
- Transmission Fluid Level
- If the level of transmission fluid has gone below the recommended marking on the dipstick, it is time for you to top up the transmission fluid.
- Quality of the Transmission Fluid
- If you notice that the quality of the transmission fluid has deteriorated, i.e. it has become opaque and emitting a foul odour, it is time for you to go for a transmission fluid change.
Most vehicle manufacturers recommend a transmission fluid change every 30,000–40,000 miles. However, it is advisable to get the transmission fluid inspected at regular intervals of time.
Book an appointment for a transmission fluid change from Urban Lube.
Read Next Blog: