Motor oil is the fluid that your vehicle’s engine needs to keep functioning smoothly. For every vehicle owner in Canada, it is crucial to take care of the car engine by ensuring that the right engine oil is used during warranty approved oil change in Calgary. Most vehicle owners would just see the oil change near me, and take their vehicle to a nearby garage or mechanic to get the motor oil change done. But, it is crucial to use the right engine oil.
The 5w20 oil and 5w30 oil are the most common types of motor oils used in Canada. Most vehicle owners tend to get it wrong and often use them interchangeably.
The main difference between the 5w20 oil and 5w30 oil lies in their viscosity.
What is Oil Viscosity?
- Oil viscosity refers to the capability of oil to travel.
- Viscosity is also the resistance of a fluid (here oil) to flow.
- To keep it simple, you can also think of oil viscosity as the thickness.
- Oils having a higher viscosity resist motion, while those having lower viscosity are runnier.
- Between 5w20 oil and 5w30 oil, the higher the number, the thicker the oil is.
- 5w30 oil is thicker and more viscous compared to 5w20 oil.
What Do The Letter ‘W’ and Numbers Stand For?
- The ‘W’ in 5w20 oil and 5w30 oil stands for winter.
- The first number, i.e., 5 represents the viscosity rating at low temperatures.
- Lower the first number, the thinner the oil, and the superior its performance in a cold climate when the temperature is low.
- The number after W refers to the thickness of oil when the engine is operating at normal temperature.
Key Differences Between 5w20 Oil and 5w30 Oil
- It is thinner.
- Viscosity is less.
- Best for cold climates.
- Exceptional fuel efficiency and superior performance in places where temperatures are low.
- Being less viscous, it flows quickly with less friction.
- It is thicker.
- Viscosity is more.
- Ideal for places where temperatures are high.
- Less fuel efficiency and low performance in cold climates.
- Being thicker and having high viscosity, it flows slowly due to more friction.
Which One Should You Choose for Your Car?
5w20 or 5w30 Oil
- If you are living in that part of Canada where the temperatures go very low and the climate gets too cold, 5w20 oil would be preferable during warranty approved oil change in Calgary.
- In cold climates, the 5w20 oil flows quickly in the engine, allowing it to start quickly.
- Less friction means that the various mechanical parts won’t have to work hard.
- On the other hand, 5w30 oil does not break down quickly, even when the temperature is high in warmer climates. Instead, it protects the engine due to its high viscosity.
- Thus, 5w30 oil would be ideal for your car if you live in a region having high temperatures.
Both 5w20 oil and 5w30 offer great protection to the engine. The choice during warranty approved oil change in Calgary will depend on the temperature in your area, but keep the knowledge shared in this article in mind.
Read Next Blog: