If you are in a hurry to go somewhere, and your car doesn’t start, it is quite frustrating. If your vehicle is parked in a safe location, the problem may not be as big as if your vehicle is stranded in the middle of the road. You use your car for dropping children to school, going on a vacation, travelling to work, visiting the shopping complex, and for many other important purposes. If your car suddenly breaks down unexpectedly, it is quite difficult to handle.
Here are some of the reasons why your car won’t start and possible solutions (fixes) for the same.
1. A Dead Battery
- The battery provides electrical power to the entire car including various components like the music system, AC, lights, etc. and your engine.
- One of the most common reasons why your car won’t start is a dead battery.
- Corroded car battery
- Car battery’s life span is over
- Loose battery cable
- Freezing and sub-freezing temperatures
- Dome light or headlights remained switched on overnight
- Dashboard battery indicator warning light flashing
- Engine cranks slowly
- Dim headlights
- Lights, radio, and other electrical components do not function
- Clicking sound while turning the key
- Jump-start your car by using jumper cables with another car or you can even use a battery booster jump starter pack.
- Once charged, the engine should crank up. If it doesn’t, then you are facing the problem of a dead battery.
- Replacing a dead battery is the best possible solution.
- If you are stranded midway without jumper cables or a battery booster pack, it is best to find a local battery store that can help you with battery replacement.
2. Clogged fuel filter
- The fuel filter is a component of your vehicle’s fuel system that helps to prevent contaminants from reaching the engine.
- If the fuel filter is clogged, gasoline (fuel) won’t be able to reach the engine.
- Poor quality of gasoline
- Dirty air filter
- Decaying fuel tank
- Debris accumulation
- Hard start
- Poor acceleration
- Frequent stalling and stopping of the engine
- Low engine performance
- Reduced fuel mileage
- Get oil filters replaced every 10,000-15,000 miles.
3. Defective ignition switch
- The ignition switch is the cylindrical slot where you insert the car key.
- Locked steering wheel
- Damaged key
- Worn out ignition switch contacts
- Unlubricated internal components
- Car stops while driving
- Car start, but suddenly stops
- Flickering of the dome and headlights
- Key does not turn
- Inspect the key for any damage
- Steering wheel unlocked (if it was locked)
- Replacement of the defective ignition switch with a new one
Some Other Reasons Why Your Car Won’t Start
- Anti-theft device malfunctioning
- Faulty car starter
- Faulty fuse
- No gasoline in the fuel tank
- Bad or failed timing belt
- Bad alternator
- Failed key fob
- Bad alternator
It is possible that your car can fail at any time. Hence, it is better to be prepared.
What Should Your Vehicle Tool Kit Include?
- Spark tester
- Jump Starter kit
- Battery tester
- Wrench set
- Socket set
- Wire cutters
- Impact wrench
If your car fails to start unexpectedly, it is best to seek the help of a professional company like Urban Lube, which offers roadside assistance. Be It a battery replacement or boost, tire rotation, air, and fuel filter change, or any other car repair and maintenance service, they offer a wide range of services.
You can also keep your car maintained using regular service from Urban Lube.