A windshield wiper is an indispensable part of your vehicle. It provides you with a clear view of the road while driving. Whether it is rain, snow, or dust that has accumulated on your windshield, the windshield wiper blades help to clear any obstruction that is there on the windscreen so that you can continue your journey safely. Without proper wiper blades, one can end up in an accident due to a lack of clear vision.
Here are the 5 common warning signs that it is time for a windshield wiper change.
5 Signs You Need to Replace Your Windshield Wipers
1. Visibility of Cracks on the Windshield Wiper Blades
- Similar to tires, wiper blades develop cracks too due to the extreme weather conditions and tend to deteriorate.
- You can visually inspect the wipers by lifting them away from the windscreen.
- If you find cracks or lines on the rubber of the blade, it is time for a windshield wiper change.
2. Unusual Noise
- Windshield wipers are designed to function with minimal noise.
- If you are experiencing irritating sounds like screeches, squeaks, smearing, scrapes, or clicking, it is an indication that the wiper blades have become worn out.
- Unusual noises indicate that the wipers are not cleaning the windscreen properly.
- Unusual noises and sounds are a sign that you need to get those windshield wipers replaced.
3. Improper Windshield Contact
- If the wiper blades are not coming in proper contact with the corners or certain portions of the windshield, it may be due to damaged rubber or bent metal.
- This is an indicator that the wiper blades are not doing their job properly anymore and need to be repaired or replaced immediately.
4. Excessive Windshield Streaking
- The wiper movement must leave the windshield clean and smooth.
- If you notice streaks or a film being formed on the windshield even after you have sprayed water to remove it, this indicates that the wipers are dirty and need a windshield wiper change.
- Streaking indicates that some part of the wiper blade has worn out.
5. Bent Metal Frames
- There may be several reasons for the metal part of the wipers to get bent.
- It may be caused due to removal of accumulated ice from the windshield during winter or probably due to rough handling of the wiper blades.
- If the blades are bent, they won’t come in proper contact with the windshield.
- Even if they function properly now, you will need a windshield wiper change sooner than later.
How Often Should You Change the Windshield Wiper?
- Windshield wipers are essential for safe driving.
- It is recommended to get the best windshield wiper blades replaced once every six months to one year.
- Also, before the winter season starts, it is essential to get a new set of winter wipers installed even if the existing ones are functioning properly.
- This is because the regular set of wipers will get damaged much faster than the winter wipers.